PANTS: The Underwear Rule from the NSPCC
Each letter in the word PANTS gives you one of the rules.
- Privates are private
- Always remember your body belongs to you
- No means no
- Talk about secrets that upset you
- Speak up, someone can help
You know your child better than anyone. And you’ll know when they’re ready and how much detail to go into. Some parents found these moments helped them start the conversation:
- bathtime, applying cream or when getting your child dressed
- car journeys
- going swimming and saying that what’s covered by swimwear is private
- during a TV show that features a sensitive storyline
- singing along to our PANTS song with Pantosaurus.
Each year we talk PANTS to the children in worship and through class circle times in order to keep them safe. The full list of resources are available to download on the NSPCC website, but we have attached a number here to support you in starting these conversations. https://www.nspcc.org.uk/keeping-children-safe/support-for-parents/underwear-rule/